Homemade cheese crackers taste a million times better than anything you can buy at the supermarket. Trust me. This recipe for cheese crackers is very simple and can easily be made with ingredients you already have in your pantry. I used a pastry cutter to create the scalloped edge of the cracker, however you can also use a cookie cutter or free hand the crackers with a knife. I prefer extra sharp cheddar cheese because of its strong taste and salty flavor.
From Carla: This is a flaky (like piecrust), tasty cracker. Use any yellow cheese. You can grate a soft cheese on the big holes of the grater and then use your fingers to work it into the flour and margarine, as you would make a piecrust.
1. Grate a hard cheese as fine as possible.
2. Rub 3 tablespoons of margarine into 3/4 cup of flour.
3. Work in 1/2 cup of grated cheese (measured after grating) and a dash of salt.
4. Blend 1 egg yolk with 1 tablespoon of cold water and add.
5. Work it into soft dough.
6. Roll out very thing and cut into rounds or whatever shapes you prefer.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes, depending on the thickness of the cracker dough).