Thursday, February 3, 2011

Country Wisdom for Better Habits

The New Year brings feelings of fresh starts and resolutions, but by February our enthusiasm has faded. This year, I'm trying to change a few things so I can get more stuff done, like learning how to can or keeping my apartment plants alive. The first on my list? Get more sleep. After that, I am focusing on the quality of the things that I do over how many things I do. Time to stop running around and getting nothing done.

For years, people have been asking Carla Emery just how she gets everything done. Just one look at her Encyclopedia of Country Living, and you wonder just how she does it all, from recipes to herb remedies to how to break an animal to lead, all while having good humor and recounting stories at every turn. So just how does she do it? She says:

People are always asking me how I manage to get so much done. My husband asks me how I manage to keep track of it all. The honest truth is that I don't: I don't really get that much done, and Lord knows I don't keep track of it all. But for what it's worth, here are some habits that help me accomplish what I do.


Helpful Habits

1. Don't discuss the obvious.

2. Don't own a television

3. Quite a job when you're losing efficiency.

4. Go to bed when you're tired.

5. Eat less salt and sugar, use less heat.

6. Keep lists of things to do and things to buy.

7. Then get somebody else o do as many of those things as possible.

8. Don't drink coffee, tea, cola, or alcohol; smoke cigarettes; chew snooze; or use illegal drugs.

9. Sing a lot.

10. Pray a lot.

What are your habits that keep you feeling healthy and getting everything done?

No comments:

Post a Comment