Monday, April 9, 2012

Eat Those Veggies!

Peaches. Raspberries. Pears. Name any kind of fruit (except maybe tomatoes) and my mouth will water. As a child, my love of fruit even compelled me to hide the juiciest, ripest pieces from my family, ensuring that they would be all mine later and solidifying my reputation as the "Fruit Bat."

My fruit hoarding tendencies might signal a problem, but an even greater difficulty lies in my absolute disinterest in fruit's counterpart, vegetables. If you mention broccoli, cauliflower, or spinach, you won't even get me to turn my head. The most you'll illicit is a slow, drawn out yawn. This doesn't bode well for my body that needs the vitamins hidden within the bright red, green, and orange exteriors of vegetables.

Since I can't possibly be the only vegetable-averse eater around, many of you will be pleased to know that Carla Emery has a bounty of delicious vegetable recipes in her book. The one I found to be the most alluring (who doesn't love lasagna?)is below and will soon have you eating your veggies too.

Spinach Lasagne Make a batch of marinara (tomato sauce) and a batch of white sauce. Steam 1 lb. spinach until barely tender. Then chop it coarsely and combine with the white sauce. Also steam 3 large sliced zucchini. Now, into a 9 12-inch baking dish, spoon a thin layer of tomato sauce, a layer of uncooked wide noodles, one-third of the tomato sauce, a layer of half the zucchini slices, and half the spinach mixture. Then repeat noodle layer, tomato sauce layer, rest of zucchini, and rest of spinach. Finally, top with a last layer of noodles and the remaining one-third of tomato sauce. Bake at 350˚F covered for a half hour and uncovered for another half hour. Let stand before serving. From Ruth of Bonaire.

No comments:

Post a Comment